Apparently they say you go to Amsterdam twice. Once to see Amsterdam, and once to remind yourself of what you saw. So while my memory is a little hazy like everyone else's...I'm glad I have all these photos to remind me of my wonderful first visit. Its been a few weeks since I got back, but I'm still very much in an Amsterdam frame of mind. Here's a summary of it all in 15 pictures. Captions follow...and needless to say, I'm going back.
1. Handmade Japanese Paper from Vlieger Papier.
2. Van Gogh's handwriting from his infamous letters to his brother Theo...turned into a wallpaper at the Van Gogh museum. Did you know that he was only an artist for about 10 years and in that time produced over 2,000 works? He was a failed pastor who decided to start painting in his late 20s...so if you're thinking about a career change, or worrying that you'll never get good enough at it, think again. Its never too late to let the artist in you, out.
3. Stork. A fabulous seafood restaurant on the other side of the river. Yes, I dragged everyone on a ferry and somewhat uninspiring 20-minute walk through backyards and parking lots to get there, but then we sat down, ordered champagne and oysters and it was all very much worth it.
4. An elevator with a light show taking you to the top floor of the brand new A'DAM Tower. Great views, great cocktails, and totally the 'in' thing to do right now. As our Airbnb host told us on arrival...you won't find it in the guide books so the tourists don't even know about it yet.
5. Handwriting on the windows of Cafe de Paris. Large industrial-chic cafe that turns into quite the buzzy spot in the evenings...and happened to play a lot of old school hip hop jams the night we went in. Bonus. Dreamlover, come rescue me...
6. The city is full of interiors to write home about but this gorgeous copper-toned one was at De Vergulden Eenhorn...a farmhouse from 1702 (!) in the middle of the city that serves an awesome brunch.
7. Gorgeous shops and window displays in Amsterdam's very own "Brooklyn" - De Pijp.
8. We spotted our little Dantellino in a poster gallery! Missed the little guy while we were away so Picasso's one line dachshund made me feel like he was with us in spirit.
9. Tulips! Tulips! Everywhere.
10. Lots of minimal geometric design objects...did I mention I'm going back?
11. Biiii-cycles! Also everywhere. Had the Queen song in my head the entire time, but included that already in my Copenhagen post so if you haven't read that one...please do.
12. The best olives ever - served as an amuse bouche at The French Connection. Very cute little spot near the flower market that serves delicious French tapas. And also, champagne.
13. More cute little stores in De Pijp. (Went twice so a second photo seemed fair.)
14. Rembrandt's signature beneath his statue in Rembrandt Square.
15. Cheese. Love. Cheese.